Pages

Tuesday, 28 August 2007

How i spent my August Bank holiday

Yesterday, 27th August was a public holiday, we call it Bank holiday. Most probably we have no other reason to call it holiday, so historically, those days were the days when banks were closed.

I preached on 26th August to a group of young people at London Chinese Alliance Church, Harrow. That was my second sermon of my life, on Daniel 3 , title: Convenience or committed follower.

As i prepared the sermon, the one thing that struck a chord with me was that the pursuit of material or happiness to satisfy myself will dull my appetite for God. This idol is very subtle. In the history of Israelites in the bible, they had golden statue that claimed to be God. That idol was obvious. Today, we worship fame, money, big house, big car, but we ended up with a cold heart. We have missed the real thing: being Loved by God and loving Him and His people.

"Do not let the wise man boastof his wisdom, or the strong man boast of his strength,or the rich man boast of his riches, but let him who boasts boast about this:
that he understands and knows me, that i am the Lord who exercises kindness, justice and righteousness on earth, for in these i delight, says the Lord" Jeremiah 9:23


Of course, i am not saying that there is something wrong about having a big car or a big house, but the problem is when in the process of pursuing comfort , we compromise our integrity, our values and our time spent with God.

After the Sunday service, we took a photo together :

I just love that look!I need to look where i can buy that wig, if not, how i can set my hair!

Chee has 2 american friends with him, so we took them around covent garden and we watched this performance at the square.He was a good entertainer

We then went home, Yue siew arrived shortly after. The next 24 hours was fun, just in my house. Yue siew and I baked banana walnut muffin and chocolate souffle. Albert cooked his secret recipe Teriyaki Salmon. We opened a bottle of wine, very interesting that wine. After we let it breathed , it tasted better.

Irene no. 2 joined us later when she arrives home.Coincidentally, she is Chan as well, same chinese surname. It's just that somehow my english surname is Tan, whereas both my brothers are Chan@Tan on their ID card. She arrived London from Sydney. She is currently our tenant. We also helped her to settle in London. She is somewhat like me, her character, her laughter, expressive and optimistic. She is a graphc designer, looking for job in London. We ate non-stop and had mignight movie: Blood Diamond.
click the photo for clearer view.

Interesting movie, at least i know what does "conflict free" diamond mean now. Leonardo was committed in his purpose and pursuit of life. If only follower of Christ, including myself, have that determination and perseverance in following our Master.

We rested at 2.30 am.

The next morning was groggy and head was heavy.

Monday Bank holiday was eventful as well. Yue siew helped me set up wireless, so Irene N0. 2 can use as well.We spent about an hour figuring why it was not connecting, only to find that we didn't do the basic: switched on the wireless on my laptop! Then we cooked malaysian curry laksa from Prima Taste packet, and fried rice. I also practiced my dad's special dish : buttermilk prawn. But being such a amateur, i haven't inherited his skills yet. I will have to have few lessons when i am home in KL. We had a great meal and a good time.


Thank God for the love of friends and able to serve Him, be it through food or word ministry.

1 comment:

  1. you can get the wig from Hamley the toy shop.

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...