Pages

Thursday, 24 May 2007

Answer to "How do i Know"

Coming back to my question previously, how do we "know"? Few blogs that I read recently have a common theme: what should do I do? Where should I go? How do I know if I have made the right choice? Should I buy this business? Will it be worst off owning my business than salaried?

 

Well, will it bring you any consolation if I say to you that you don't? You don't really know, so don't spend time thinking about it. Unless you are really a person who follows 100% instinct, that instinct becomes your "knowing", if not, majority of us do think a lot about our directions and decisions.

 

If you do read about me, I am one of the people who always feel like I am at a crossroads. To me, there are two types of knowing. One : the external knowing I call it, and Second: the internal knowing, or experiential knowing.

 

The main difference between the first and the two is :Relationship if it refers to knowing a being, and experience if we talk about matters/things.

 

Decision regarding matters/thing:

 

Two stages of knowing are involved. First, we need that external knowing, we do research on that matter, talk to people about it, ask for their views, read loads and loads about that matter. These research and information serves as platform to help us make informed choices. I think that's the easiest, less stressful part. We can accumulate a wealth of facts about something before we make choices. But that's it not the end. To really know is to interpret that information and apply it. Knowing comes with application and action. That is really when you know something. You can research everything and read about say "Apple", e.g., there are red ones, green ones, from different countries, different "brands", crunchy ones, sour ones, sweet ones. Yes, but your knowing Is not complete until you take a bite. When you bite an apple, all your information becomes real. Your experience and your acting materialise your knowing.

 

So, to answer some of the questions in regards to choices and decisions in life, like what Pastor Mak suggested, sit down  in a quiet room, have blank pieces of paper, depending on the number of options, list down all the pros and cons. Then, you TAKE RISK on your partial learning. When you act on your information that you know   thus far, you materialise your information to reality (my apple eating example). With them, you can say that you know by doing A , you will end up with B, or A will bring you B. So to me, knowing is now just mental process or acquiring wealth of facts, that's one type of knowing, that's the knowing you need to pass your exam, but not that type of knowing that help you face life except materialising your knowing by doing.

 

So in short, you don't really know in full until you do it and experience it. There is no knowing without taking the risk in your action. One who dares not bite an apple will not know truly what apple is.

 

So it is with God and human beings. You can read about Queen Elizabeth or me, from my blog, but you really know Queen Elizabeth or me, in a relationship. Lots of people don't care about God. They don't stop even for a moment when they see the beauty in nature, the lakes, the waterfalls, the autumn. People always ask how do you know God? Not JUST by reading, more importantly, by having a relationship with Him. Just like how you know your boyfriends, wives, or your soul mates. All those that I mentioned, people whom you loved, families, friends, people you treasure are the one who knows you , whom you know, in a love relationship.

 

So, in regards to knowing  whether you should go out with Mr. A , B, or C, you talk to people to know what's he like, and you spend time with them in a friendship. You make friends with A, make friends with B, and make friends with C. With them, you will get a clearer knowing from the relationship that you have for them. Then, you come to a decision and take risk by taking action, in this case, going out with One of them whom you have decided. Once you make a decision, you continue to know them. Knowing is a process, a process for life. Knowing God, too, is a process.. and for that, the knowing starts with relationship with Him now on earth and continues for eternity.

 

We melt with our loved ones tell us they love us for eternity. But if you are like one of those people who are not sure about life after death or what happens after death, that eternity doesn't mean anything to you. This is because eternity means timeless state, duration without beginning and end. The duration of our lives here is Not eternity, it is finite, with beginning and end, with life and death. So how can we love when we die? As the child of God, eternity make sense to me because I   take a risk by trusting that my knowing will become complete when I meet God after my death, where I spend my life after death with God. Death will be an entry to eternity of knowing God in full. So, Death is a good thing. It is a doorstep to all the goodness and beauty in a timeless state   When we leave this body we also leave time.

 

That is the reason for my living: to know my God because I know that my knowing of Godwill come to a climax, revealed in full when I see him face-to-face, after that stepped through death.

 

 " Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known." 1 Corinthians 13:12

 

I no longer fear death like others, because I know the lover of my soul is there to greet me at the door.

 

"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. …So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, and what is unseen is eternal." 2 corinthians 4:16-18

 

Then, there is God himself. Invisible to the human eye, the Lord Jesus, Lord of earth and heaven and all the created universe, and though we do not see him yet we love him and follow him. He is in control of history. As we approach the end of life these things will become more and more significant to us. And we shall be with the Lord

 

 My knowing will be an endless journey. And to know that my knowing will be endless and joyous one, I take the risk and act on it. The more I do, the more I know, and the more I know, the more I will do the right thing.

 

Knowing is more than mental process of acquiring wealth of facts, that's just external knowing. Knowing involves taking risk and taking action, and experiencing it, and in a loving relationship with others.   We are stuck at the crossroads because we are stuck at taking risk and action. We are stuck at loving others.

 

"Everyone who love has been born of God and knows God. Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love." 1John 4: 7-8

 

 Fear stops us from knowing, Fear crippled us from having loving relationships with people around us. But there is hope.

 

"Perfect love drives out fear.. there is no fear in love.." 1 John 4: 18 Since God is love, there is no fear in God, because He loves me despite of who I am, not what I could be.

 
--
Irene
"You have made known to me the path of life, you will fill me with joy in Your presence, with eternal pleasure at your right hand"Psalm 16:11

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...