Pages

Thursday, 22 March 2007

20:80 Philosophy

Rachel was right.. My pastor was right.. They both spoke about 20:80. This philosophy is right.

Rachel said in the NHS.. 20% efficiency hard-working people working for 80% of the performance.

My pastor said in the church, 20% of fervent christians are serving the rest of the 80%. You will consider yourself blessed if you have 20% .

The 80/20 Rule is also known as "Pareto's Principle." Vilfredo Pareto, a 19th century economist, found that 80% of production volume generally comes from only 20% of the producers. He observed that 80 percent of the land in England (and every country he subsequently studied) was owned by 20 percent of the population.

Over the years, he and many others observed this rule in action in different spheres. Some examples:

Relationship: Twenty percent of the people you know (friends, colleagues, family) provide you with 80 percent of nurturing support and satisfaction.

Business: Twenty percent of customers will account for 80 percent of profit.

Productivity: Twenty percent of your activities will account for 80 percent of your success.

Gardening: Eighty percent of garden peas are produced by 20 percent of the peapods

The saddest part is i am hard-working, ambitious and in the 20%, initially... when i joined NHS. Now that i look around me.. i am tempted to be the majority, the dead wood, the 80%. NHS is not really performance oriented like private companies. I can sit here and till i turn 65, and still get my increment every yer. Not much incentive to climb up huh? Moreover, there is only one head in each department. My manager is likely to stay till he retires, because in a way , he as as stucked as me, at different level.

Today i received this in my mailbox:

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving."(Colossians 3:23-24 TNIV)

What a comfort, what a struggle. I know this in my head since i was 9 years old. I learnt this in Sunday school, i could even memorize it by heart.

Yet, i have not moved on.I am still learning to leave this out.. Oh did i say leave? Sorry, LIVE this out i mean

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...