Pages

Tuesday, 30 January 2007

hopeful to possibilities

In my MSc course on doing research, one of the basic that was being taught is the difference between open and closed questions in designing questionnaires.

Have you eaten your dinner ?  Yes/ No - closed question

What is your favourite food ? Char Kuey Teow, Chicken Feet, Chendol ... the list goes on - open question

Yesterday i had my jazz lesson with Chris. He exposed me to the new contemporary jazz pianist where there isn't a standard melody. It's all upon the pianist to play and communicate to the audience with his phrases. I have to admit it's sound very dissonant to my ears. I don't know how to appreciate it.  However, it made me realise that jazz is not static. We are not only  looking back to 1920s - 1960s and learn from those major figure and their masterpiece, but also they serve as a platform for us nowadays to take it even further. So it's not a closed loop.It's a timeline that is open-ended.

Today i have been thinking.. so is my life. It's so easy for me to just end it there and say " this is my life , working 9-5, meeting up with friends occassionally, decide to have kids when i need some more challanges in life ... i can't see anything beyond this.. " Well this is what i said to my friend Kaye.. this is it, and this will be my life.. i will remain in this job till i retire , will stay in England till my husband decides to retire in 10 years time.

But i then realised, no.. that is not the way i should live! Love faith hope.. the three virtues in bible.. i should be hopeful because my God created the whole universe out of nothing. He is a God of Possibilities! I should face tomorrow ( and now) with an open heart and place my Hope in my Creator.

Come to think of it, i prefer to live my life with the options of chicken feet, char kuey teow rather than Yes/No.


No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...