Pages

Tuesday, 15 August 2006

P- for politics

I checked www.dictionary.com the meaning of politics :

used with a sing. or pl. verb) Intrigue or maneuvering within a political unit or group in order to gain control or power: Partisan politics is often an obstruction to good government. Office politics are often debilitating and counterproductive


(used with a sing. or pl. verb) The often internally conflicting interrelationships among people in a society

Yes indeed, In my case, it�s office politics, because I work in an office, typing and clicking�.. There has been jobs cut due to the financial situation in our company. One pharmaceutical adviser was made redundant. Hence, ms. A, my senior colleague is taking on her job and consequently, has been promoted to deputy head of medicine management. Sounds good hey? The caveat is she gets the title but no increase in pay. Moreoever, if she refuses the title alone, they (senior management team) will just divide the work among three of us an d she gets nothing. She was so furious!

I can see that government sector is the only place where smart and diligent workers are being �short-changed�. She is such a good projection for me. She has been here for three years. Three years ago, she was doing what I am doing now. She strived for promotion , and seeing what they do to her is a constant reminder that this place is not for long-stay. This is all about politics and getting on the favourite list. If you don�t fight for it, no one will fight for you. Yes indeed, there is no such thing as objective decision, we can only make it less subjective. Anyway, by the end of the day, it�s human beings who are making the decision. Furthermore, I have learnt that those with loud voice always get their way.

Ms. A said she will leave next year. Why is she staying then? Well, to be honest, she is staying because there is nothing better out there. Is that really true? Yes, there is nothing out there in NHS, government sector, but I am sure there are plenty out there that needs her excellent project management skills etc� not to say that she is an excellent leader to me, but at least she delivers and gets things done. Government sector is lacking of performance management, that�s all I can say.

Well, hopefully this time next year I am out of here. If I stay here longer, not only I become rusty, I will become complacent and comfortable and too lazy to move. That is the worst that can happen to anyone! Complacency and self-deception.

I hope I can move out of pharmacy and out of government sector. One fine day�...

No comments:

Post a Comment

There was an error in this gadget

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...