Pages

Wednesday, 31 May 2006

Oh! i hit the "wood" again



In my life, a lot of knowing only comes after i have made a mistake, or in cantonese, hitting the wood.
I am saying this in reference to my job. Firstly, i was not inducted properly. You know , those induction that happens on your first day or week. Not organised at all. Similar to my previous hospital. Not enough information was given and everyone work on an assumption platform.
Examples, easily.. #1: Leave carried forward

Background information:
NHS is the biggest organistion in UK. All public hospitals in UK are NHS. Hence, if an employee changes her job from one NHS organisation to another, she can bring her remaining annual leave with her to the next employee, or chooses to get paid for the remaining leave. If she get paid, there will be no leave remaining when she moves to the next job.Financial year starts every April.

Irene's case:
My annual leave is 27 working days from april to March next year. When i started the job last October, i was entitled 14 days, but i took 20 days (which means borrowed 6 days from following year). I informed my manager that i will be taking my annual leave from date X to date Y. It was approved.

Assumption 1: They assumed that my 6 days were carried from my previous job. When i applied for my unpaid leave this April (new financial year), they were shocked to see that i am entitled to 21 this year, because they assummed that my previous 5 days were brought forward from my previous employee, which i didn't because i chose to get paid . I wasn't happy. My manager clearly showed me that he wasn't pleased.

No. 1: They assumed i brought forward from my previous employee, they didn't ask or clarify with me when i applied for leave
No. 2: I didn't know that i could carry forward, i heard about it, but i wasn't given clear instruction or guidance that i could do so. I didn't know they , by default assummed that i brought forward from my previous job.
No. 3: He said if he knew i was borrowing my leave from next year, he wouldn't have approved it . Conversely, for argument sake, if i knew he wouldn't approve, i wouldn't have booked my holidays and flight.
No. 4: I assumed he knew that i borrowed next year's leave because he approved my annual leave application

Outcome: now i know.. i wasn't happy about this whole thing.. clearly being a manager, getting paid so much more than me, and bein gin NHS for 17 years.. there is no excuse. They have the responsibility to clarify the entitlement of annual leave, whether any leave brought forward from previous job. They said they will make sure this will take place for future employee. Wa la.. that is management for me. Typical example of better flow of system in place after something happen or after somone hit the wood.

Scenario 2: Sick leave
I am sick today, i woke up and queued for GP appointment and wow.. what a surprise(!),receptionist told me no more appointment left for the day.

Background information: one can either book an appointment through the phone to see a GP and you will be given an appointment TWO weeks later (for assummed non-urgent cases,) or if you want to see your doctor This very day, you will have to queue up before 8 am in front of the GP practice to try your luck. If you are lucky, you will get to see your GP the same day morning. If not, you will be like me... the lady in front of me took the last morning appointment.

I called the data analyst of my team that i would like to take sick leave before i went for the GP queue at 8 am. I am at home now, resting.. i checked my work email from home.. and guess what?
My manager emailed me with a red exclamation mark next to the mail, ie with high importance.
First line, hope you are feeling better.. hmnn not bad... good i like it
Second line: in future, can you call me as your line manager. All staff need to ring their line manager in first instance if calling in sick.

*ouch* The wood hit me.

I had this conversation with my colleague the other day about sick leave, because i dont know the procedure in this organisation. She said i could call my manager's PA or ring Miss T, our data analyst, she will then inform my manager's PA. Well, i rung Miss T.. and you know what? that is not the right thing to do!

Well, i hit the wood again... hmnn it all has to do with induction? maybe i am a bimbo .... guess what? my manager is not always in his office....if he is, he will be somewhere having meeting.. this is the first time he gave me his mobile number. .PLUS ... sometimes they work from home (too !)

That;s my interesting workplace for you.. thanks for listening

My family members are arrived last night, all out there in central london etc.. and here i am staying at home and typing this..... making best use of my solitude.... *cough cough*
my lips are like sausages, colour: bright red, my dad asked me first thing this morning is i have applied lipstick. I told him no, i am "heaty" chinese slang.
That's all for today.. need 2 litres of H20..

maybe i should call in sick tomorrow too huh? ha ha .. no, i wont do it... my code of conduct is bound by a book... i truly didn't feel well this morning when i woke up...

2 comments:

  1. Hey Irene, hope you get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found this by our canteen. For a smile.

    'Last night as I lay sleeping, I died or so it seemed,
    then I went to heaven, but only in my dream.

    Up there St Peter met me, standing at the pearly gates,
    He said 'I must check your record, please stand here and wait'

    He turned and said 'Your record is covered with terrible flaws,
    on earth I see you rallied for every losing cause,

    I see that you drank alcohol and smoked and used drugs too,
    fact is you've done everything a good person should never do.

    We can't have people like you up here, your life is full of sin.'
    The he read the last of my record, took my hand and said 'Come in'

    He lead me up to the big boss and said 'Take him in and treat him well,
    He used to work for the NHS,he's done his time in hell!!''

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...